Sunday, November 11, 2007

Gimme something to break

Why is it that most things that I own that are mechanical or electronic tend to fail when they are not in use. Case in point...we finally turned on our heat last Wednesday. Well, it wouldn't come on upstairs. A service call and $300 later, we find that we need a new circuit board for the furnace.
What I'm saying is that this is the first time we turned it on since last winter. When we turned it off last spring it was working fine.
Same thing happened to my home stereo a couple of years ago. I hadn't used it in a few months since I had been using the comcast music choice channel instead. Then one day I put in a cd...i think it was the latest Wilco (this was back when Being There came out.) Nothing. Nada. Nil. the stereo just wouldn't work. I took it to some place over in NLR. They needed sixty bucks just to analyze it and find the problem. I gave them the money and two days later they called me and said it would cost too much to fix it.
People, we now live in a world where everything we buy is disposable. No item you buy that is electronic or mechanical will last beyond 10 years. Well, except for my mini-ipod that is now obsolete.

No comments: